JONATHAN CONVILLE MEMORIAL TRUST (JCMT) Charity No: 293720
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR TREASURER (position to commence from 1st January 2021)
HOW WE EVOLVED
The family of Jonathan Conville established the Trust after he died on the Matterhorn 29th December 1979, aged 27. He was a sound ambitious climber. He identified strongly with the outdoors where he constantly found challenge. The Trust’s aims are to encourage and assist young people from the ages of 18 – 30, to pursue their love of the outdoors in the spirit of adventure, which Jonathan embraced during his life.
WHAT WE DO
The trust encourages safe and enjoyable practice in mountaineering, by operating subsidised training for young people from 18-30 years by operating the following courses:
Scottish Winter Courses based in the Cairngorms – annually 60 places with a ratio of 1 guide to 6 participants.
Alpine Preparation Weekend Course in the UK – annually held at Plas y Brenin.
Alpine Mountaineering Courses based in Chamonix, France – annually 80-90 places with a ratio of 1 guide to 3 participants.
Sir Chris Bonington CBE & Andy Cave
The British Mountaineering Council
The Mountain Training Trust
The Scottish Mountaineering Trust
The Board of 9 Trustees all give their time voluntarily to manage the charity.
All administration and applications for the courses are processed through Mountain Training Trust (Plas y Brenan) that includes taking deposits from the participants and payments for the courses.
The position open for our new Treasurer is unpaid, other than expenses incurred in that role.
The accounting period of the charity ends on 31st December.
- Oversee the financial affairs of the charity and ensure they are legal, and within accepted accounting practice, as with the Charities Commission.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the trust.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits with our accountants Porter Garland.
- Liaise with relevant board members to ensure the financial viability of the trust.
- Attend the annual AGM and report the financial position at the meeting (balance sheet/cash flow/fundraising etc)
- Oversee the production of an annual budget/projection along with fellow financial committee members.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place: cheque signatories, 2 people as signatories and authorisation of all payments made.
- Trustees expense claims are made promptly.
- Liaise with our accountants Porter Garland and provide them with all the necessary paperwork for JCMT end of year Financial Statement.
- Send out all relevant paperwork to all Trustees prior to the AGM (a week in advance of the meeting date)
- Keep a monthly Excel sheet and send to other financial committee members on a quarterly basis.
- Manage the JCMT Virgin Money Giving Website page.
- Respond in writing to any donations made to JCMT in writing where possible.
- Knowledge and experience of current fundraising finance practice to charitable organisations.
- Knowledge of Excel and financial management (as necessary).
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly, and respond to emails/texts/telephone calls in a timely manner.
APPROX VOLUME OF TRANSACTIONS DEALT WITH IN 2019
- 125 entries on excel to balance with bank statements
- 15 invoices paid
- 4 invoices raised
Please send applications with CV to Melissa Conville at email@example.com by 30th April